Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

G'Day from Aussie Land

I have completely fallen in love. It has been 7 days now and I am in a full blown love affair with this city. I realize that may seem a bit precipitant, but sometime you just know. The vibe here is great. Sydney is a combination of things that I love about all my favorite U.S. cities. The city and greater Sydney is massive with tons of cool neighborhoods surrounded by either bay or ocean - which is a bit like San Francisco. In the central city, or CBD, you get a real big city vibe like being in Manhattan and people are dressed to the nines all the time. It is a very fashionable and chic place! But then, to top it off and best of all - the beaches. OH the beaches! How I cannot wait for summer. July is Sydney's coldest month (yes, my I am used to 100 degree heat and 90% humidity body has been freeeezing since I arrived. I need my SF uniform of boots and leather jacket STAT!!) But even in the cold the trip out to Bondi beach and the ferry over to Manly beach were both spectacular. The water is turquoise blue in the sun and the beaches stretch on forever. I am afraid once summer comes I will have to be dragged out of this country kicking and screaming by immigration because there is no way I will want to leave.
This week I was fortunate to land on a futon in the apartment of a friend of friends in the hip hood of Paddington while I pound the pavement on the hunt for a flat (yes, I am picking up the lingo) I have been to a a few apartments both in the city and at the beach but I am leaning toward beach life here. Some of my favorites are the beaches just south of Bondi, called Clovelly and Coogee beach. Woolloomooloo (don't you just love the Aussie words? I still can't get that one out right) is a nice bay side beach where I am headed this afternoon to see a furnished room in a flat share. The great thing is I am under no pressure to move out of the futon room so I can take my time getting my feel for the city and where I'd like to live. Plus, all the flatmates here are big surfers and I have already been forced onto a board twice this week at 6am. Not that I am complaining, of course!
On top of that, one of the roommates in the Paddington house is pretty high up in the photography world. This week has been doing fashion photography shoots for Vogue Australia, Rush and other big name magazines. On my second night here I was whisked off to a photo gallery opening at which I was invited to a magazine launch party a few nights later. In Vietnam I took advantage of the tailor-made clothing and had a to-die for Balmain skirt replicated from a photo I tore out of Vanity Fair which I have not been able to wear until now. And not to toot my own horn or anything, but I actually made the "society pages" for best dressed at the party! Me! It was pretty cool, my 4th day here and my flatmate comes home and plops down the daily tabloid page of the paper and says for a girl that been here less than a week and with no more than a backpack I'd have to say I'm impressed! And if only they knew that skirt cost me a whopping $6.
There is more to add, but I'll stop here for now. I can't wait for friends and family to come visit so I can share the love. Start saving for those plane tickets y'all!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am so in love with your life, woman. I am saving that cayash indeed!! Are you going to be a local celeb by the time I get there? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we see a photo of the skirt? Or how about a photo of the newspaper pic? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wella!! I will scan the photo in and post it up!

    ReplyDelete